Charlie's Blog

Welcome to a blog about a boy with a rare heart disease, his mum and dad, and his adventures.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I don't know

Happy 5th anniversary, honey! Let's...get our wills done! And so began my week. I know it's a good thing to do, but man, after thinking about death so much last year, today was tough. I found it much harder than I thought I would to put everything down on paper.

The lawyer we dealt with was a sub-lawyer of our actual lawyer, who is great. This new guy, Mike, was appropriately somber, and I think I made him uncomfortable with my 'hey, everybody dies' attitude. His handshake sucked, just for the record (side note: training from my mother has made me want to say to people when they have a shitty handshake, "Don't you realize that your limp-fish handshake makes people think you are weak, less trustworthy and flippant? Here, let me show you what a good handshake feels like. See? Now you try. Ahhh, much better." History has taught me NOT to do this. Still, it drives me crazy.), but he was very nice.

So, we put everything down on paper. It's amazing the things you DON'T think of. We had thought of who would get Charlie if we both died, but other than that...jewellery? Assets? The cottage in Muskoka....oh wait.

Seriously, though, who this about what they want their funeral to look like? I've meant to make a cd for years now with 'funeral music' on it to play at a par-tay celebrating my life, but every time I thought about it I just got upset. With a will, you really have to think about what it'll be like once your eyes don't open again.

Anyhoo. Tough day. Also, awesome day, because the in-laws came and babysat Charlie so Matt and I could go to the lawyers by ourselves. We also went to Old Navy! We got an ice cream! It was nice, spending time with just Matt. Weird, but nice. It's March Break, so Matt is home and that's lovely too.

On Friday, I get to go out with a friend for dinner and a concert at our old university stompin' grounds. I cannot WAIT for that. So, all in all, a good week.

Wait - you want to know about Charlie? Why? Oh, because that's really why you read this blog. Well, the kid continues to astound. He is still just scooching, but there is some indication he may be up on all fours sooner rather then later. He can sit up from lying down now (a major accomplishment) and continues to progress every day. Our g-tube consult is Friday, and I can't wait to get our surgery date. I sincerely hope the g-tube makes life more...normal. He's great, though, and still freaking cute.

I don't know - The Sheepdogs

Never have I heard
A more disturbing word
Holdin' out for long
I never felt so quite disturbed.

I get up in the morning now, I don't know
Waiting for the evening now, I don't know
Been lookin' for whats comin' now, I don't know
Would somebody please, help me.

Lookin' back at me
There's more than mystery
Letters and pages of
Ancient history, yeah.

I get up in the morning now, I don't know
I've been waiting for the evening now, I don't know
I've been lookin' for whats comin' now, I don't know
Would somebody please, help me.

I don't know, help me.
I don't know, I don't know, help me.

I don't know, help me.
I don't know, I don't know, help me.

I don't know, help me.
I don't know, I don't know, help me

No comments:

Post a Comment