Charlie's Blog

Welcome to a blog about a boy with a rare heart disease, his mum and dad, and his adventures.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Happy Birthday

I had just typed out a post about Charlie's birthday as well as some other stuff, and blogger deleted it. Damn it!

Ok. Deep breath. Try again. Before the drip is done.

We are halfway through Charlie's Birthday Weekend Extravaganza. It's going really well - we put a lot of work into decor, food, cakeS (yea, that's right), and presents. He is having a great time, although he does not know what's happening. He does know a lot of people are smiling at him, though, and he is getting new stuff. Very exciting. Today we hosted my family, and tomorrow, we host Matt's. Charlie is being spoiled rotten, just like he should be. He even had a teeny bit of cake and icing, which elicited a gag but not a barf, and thus will be called a success.

We also hosted Charlie's aunt Jen and uncle Craig, and Charlie's future wife Miss Winnie (Gwenyth) today. We had a lovely brunch, and the babies got some interaction/ touch each others faces time. So adorable. Charlie showed off by scooching all the way around the couch and into the kitchen! Impressive.

As for me, I'm actually pretty worried about Charlie right now. I'm not convinced he's gaining weight as he should (two months between hospital weigh-ins is not enough for me!). I had him weighed last week at our doctors office and he was 20lbs, 4oz, about a pound off where I thought he'd be - but then, I honestly can't remember what his last hospital weigh in was, so I don't know where I got the magically new numbers from...I'm also a bit worried because Charlie (mentally prepare for an overshare) peed out a tiny bit of blood overnight on Thursday night. Everyone says not to worry about it (our NPs and cardiologist say since it hasn't repeated, it's not a big deal), but I wonder about his blood thinner levels, or if he has a UTI.mi always wonder if the doctors are missing something...I'm sure I always will.

I think that'd all normal neurotic mom stuff though, now that I read it.

To end on a happy note, Charlie is having some super high-energy days lately, which may correspond to his heart getting better. When transplant kids are healing, they have peaks and valleys of energy because of their new,mimproved oxygen levels. There is a theory that the same thing happens with kids whose hearts are healing. Fingers crossed.

Happy birthday, little man. You are very, very loved.

Happy birthday (who cares who wrote this?)

Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday Dear Charlie
Happy Birthday to You.

From good friends and true,
From old friends and new,
May good luck go with you,
And happiness too.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday little man! You're getting so big! We love you!
    The Parliaments

    ReplyDelete