Charlie's Blog

Welcome to a blog about a boy with a rare heart disease, his mum and dad, and his adventures.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Put on a happy face

I know I haven't posted in a while - all of you readers should take this as a good sign. A VERY good sign. Not only am I feeling better, but I think Charlie is starting to as well. He is eating more and more on a regular basis*, is happy and as active as ever, is on the verge (we're thisclose) to crawling or scooching, and all is currently well in the Thomas household.

*Eating better is relative. Charlie is now finishing half of the average bottle, versus a quarter - or less - before.

This week's title is not meant to be dismissive. I don't mean 'put on a happy face' as in 'paste one on there for the world to see, and meanwhile cry quietly into your pillow at home'. I really mean I can smile right now. We are still so early in this process, but the more I see Charlie and the more I read about other kids with DCM and the more hopeful advances I see in heart treatments, the better I feel. I can't help but notice, too, that since I've been less stressed, Charlie has been feeling better. 'Duh.' says my very helpful husband. I'll only let him get away with that because it's his 31st birthday today.

Celebrations are important in our house. Charlie was at the table tonight, as every night, for the carrot cake and pizza Matt wanted, and we said 'Happy birthday Daddy!' all day today together. Well, I said it and Charlie laughed uproariously. He laughs a lot most days. It's a beautiful sound to hear.

This week we are off for an adventure at the One-of-a-Kind show in Toronto. We'll see how that goes - long drives both ways and two feeds out of the house. I'm nervous. I'll post about it after.

On that note, it's movie time around here (Matt fancies himself a movie buff). Happy birthday, Daddy!



Put on a happy face

Gray skies are gonna clear up,
Put on a happy face;
Brush off the clouds and cheer up,
Put on a happy face.
Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy,
It's not your style;
You'll look so good that you'll be glad
Ya' decide to smile!
Pick out a pleasant outlook,
Stick out that noble chin;
Wipe off that "full of doubt" look,
Slap on a happy grin!
And spread sunshine all over the place,
Just put on a happy face!
Put on a happy face
Put on a happy face
And if you're feeling cross and bitterish
Don't sit and whine
Think of banana split and licorice
And you'll feel fine
I knew a girl so glooming
She'd never laugh or sing
She wouldn't listen to me
Now she's a mean old thing
So spread sunshine all over the place
Just put on a happy face

No comments:

Post a Comment