Charlie's Blog

Welcome to a blog about a boy with a rare heart disease, his mum and dad, and his adventures.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fix You

We've had a few good days in a row. By 'good days' I mean Charlie hasn't barfed since Friday. Yep, non-barf days are good ones. The past couple of days, Charlie's had some trouble pooping, but with three big poops today I'm hoping the strain-days are over.
I've been meaning for a while now to write about the amazing staff at Sick Kids. We had the best nurses and doctors, I think, that OHIP could offer. Below, please find a small list and explanation of each person who touched our lives and affected us so greatly.

Dr. D. - Not to be confused with Dr. A., the moronic pediatrician, Dr. D. is our cardiologist. She is amazing. She is blunt without being harsh and, although sometimes lacking in true compassion, is always willing to listen to our questions and answer them fully without treating us like idiots. Her kids happen to be gifted and thus may end up in Matt's History classes one day, where they automatically earn a 90%.

Kristen & Judith - Our Nurse Practitioners (N.P.s) - Kristen is a lovely little sprite of a woman who makes up for the clinical atmosphere of the hospital (although you can't really fault them on that at Sick Kids, either - the whole place is built around kids, so it's not exactly 'clinical' feeling). She is compassionate, warm, and well-informed on all things cardio and cardiomyopathy. Judith is wonderful, too - she is also warm, compassionate and educated. She answers all of our questions and gives us information we ask for, even when we should't necessarily have it (i.e. last week's EF numbers). I think the role of N.P.s is to take what the doctor says, filter it down to you, and deal with the aftermath. They are there to deal with you on a human level - something that is greatly needed in time like this.

Shelley - my favourite nurse from the cardiac ward. Shelley is like a really nice, popular cheerleader. She has a way of treating Charlie that rivals mine. I'm pretty sure he smiled at her more. She is gorgeous and kind.

Mahalini - Another one of our cardiac nurses, I think Charlie liked her the best. I'm really bad with accents, so it took me a while to get to used to Mahalini's, but once I was used to it, she quickly became one of my favourites on the ward. She wears 'healing beads' and does juice fasts to cleanse herself, and Charlie loved all of her stories and her long, beautiful hair.

Karen - A night cardiac nurse when we were there, Karen look good care of all of us in the beginning days when we were learning about the meds, and the I.V., and the feeding tube, all without complaint and with patience. I appreciate her candor and upbeatness.

...there are too many more staff to mention, including a doctor we have yet to meet (Dr. G.) but have spoken to many times on the phone, and other nurses who have lent a helping hand or been there for the overnight shift. I appreciate all the work they do more then they could ever know.

Today's song is 'Fix You' by Coldplay, because that's exactly what the staff is doing for Charlie.

Fix you - Coldplay

When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone, but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

And high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

Tears stream down on your face
When you lose something you cannot replace
Tears stream down on your face
And I...

Tears stream down on your face
I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
Tears stream down on your face
And I...

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

1 comment: