Charlie's Blog

Welcome to a blog about a boy with a rare heart disease, his mum and dad, and his adventures.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Double Duty

I say this every few times I post, but I really didn't know so many people read this blog and were interested in how Charlie and us are doing. It warms my heart/makes me feel awful that so many people read this, and that I don't post often enough! So, tonight, a double update. First, Elizabeth's arrival:

Should have been posted:

March 3rd, 2015

Seven days ago, Elizabeth Leslie Thomas entered the world. The birth did NOT go as expected but I am super glad it went the way it did. I was induced the evening of Monday, February 23rd and by lunch on the 24th I was in full active labour. You know what's not fun? Having contractions in a car. I'm sure there were quite a few people who saw me grabbing the 'oh shit' handle of my Elantra as Matt drove me to the hospital, pressing my sweaty head against the cold window, who thought I was in the DT's from being a heroin addict or something. Got to the hospital, checked in, asked for my epidural. Seriously, that's how it went. Laboured a while longer, asked for my epidural AGAIN. The anesthesiologist was assisting in a 'complicated birth' (ohgodohgodohgod) so he'd be at least 45 minutes. 45 minutes later I asked again (how did I know it was 45 minutes later? Because there was a huge clock on the wall, allowing me to know EXACTLY how long each excruciating contraction was lasting. Lucky me.) and was told he'd be another 30 minutes. At this point, I looked at my nurse and said 'I'm not actually getting an epidural, am I?'. She assured me I was.

I was not.

At 3:20pm, I had two really intense contractions and my brilliant nurse decided to roll me on my side, lest the baby be stuck under my pubic bone. Sure enough, I rolled over body decided that was the moment Elizabeth should start making her exit. She was born at 3:34pm after 9 minutes of pushing. To look back on Charlie's birth, this could not have been more different (epidural/no epidural; laboured for 24 hours/laboured for 3; pushed for 3 hours/pushed for 9 minutes...). I was so irritated at the time that I was in that much pain, but in hindsight it was a blessing. I recovered so much faster, felt better directly afterwards and am proud of myself for completing it (like I had a choice).

Elizabeth was 9lbs, 2oz, and came out covered in goo. Evidence:

Goo-covered baby Elizabeth.
 I spent two days in the hospital and headed home.

These few few days have been lovely. She eats like a champ (although it bothers me I don't know how much she's eating...left over PTSD from Charlie's condition), sleeps well, only cries when she's hungry, and is generally very affable and amenable. She gained a few ounces in the first week home and I am enjoying her so much.

I honestly can't imagine she has DCM. Charlie was a crier from the get-go, as we remember. Elizabeth just seems so...normal! We have an appointment for an echo on Friday at Sick Kids, so we will see then how her heart is doing. Genetics don't come back for several weeks but an echo will give us a good first look. Fingers crossed.

Family minus one.

Falling in love.

Charlie was thrilled with his baby sister. Elizabeth was less happy with this pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment