Charlie's Blog

Welcome to a blog about a boy with a rare heart disease, his mum and dad, and his adventures.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Somewhere over the Rainbow

Yesterday we spent the day at the Hospital for Sick Children. All day. We got so much done, and Charlie weathered it beautifully.

(A friend who is an avid blogger and Internet nerd has told me to double space the paragraphs for ease of reading. I shall comply).

We arrvied at 11am and Charlie got some bloodwork done. Not a bad poke, but not his best poke either. No matter what, he did better then the 4-year-old next door, who kept screaming 'Goddamn it!' when they went at her with a needle. From there, we headed to 4A (our clinic ward), checked in, and fed Charlie. Because of the NG tube, this takes about an hour. By noon, Dr. D. was ready to see us, and we went in to see her and Kristen. They are super pleased with how Charlie is coming along - he weighed in at 7.270kg (about 16 lbs), and his overall mood is excellent. He hasn't been throwing up recently, which is great. We've been discharged to one hospital visit a month, which really means he is completely stable now and now we just wait for the drugs to work - for which the timeline is about 6 months, or more.

After that meeting, we got lunch. And went for a walk! We had a nice little visit with downtown Toronto. At 2:30, it was (finally) time for the echo. I don't want to complain, but it was a long, long day.

The echo was pretty much a non-event. He's not worse (but apparently, he really couldn't be much worse, anyways) and there were no clots. They didn't do the ejection fraction measurement this time, so we didn't get any numbers at compare. I get so hopeful each time he has an echo that the NP's are going to come back and say "Guess what? He's doing better!", and when it doesn't happen - no matter how many times I tell myself that it WON'T happen - I am crushed. That said, when they finally DO say that, I'll know that it's for real.

Theh we fed Charlie and drove home through 2 hours of traffic. We were so distracted by the traffic that we forgot to pick up Matt's car in Pickering, and he had to get a friend to drive him out there to get it later in the night! Like I said, long day.

Today's song is 'Somewhere over the rainbow', because it's a hopeful song about the future, and that's how I am feeling right now. Someday, this has to get better.

Somewhere over the rainbow

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment